by Jette-Mari Anni
When I’m not in my car listening to the radio, I still carry music with me everywhere I go in my phone – from getting ready in the morning, to going to my next class, to winding down at night. I’m constantly on the lookout for new playlists on Spotify to add flavor to whatever I’m doing. Not surprisingly, my favorites tend to be rock, specifically, “80s Summer Rock,” which is one of my definite go-tos.
The playlist truly feels like I’m in my own personal Grease Lightning (1948 Ford De Luxe convertible), driving to the next stop at some ultimate road trip. No matter what song comes on next, it’ll bring out some great nostalgic, sepia-colored memories of blazing sun, dusty highways and diner stops in the middle of nowhere attached to it. Think Bryan Adams’ “Summer of 69” finishing up, and turning to the B side of the cassette to hear the intro of U2’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” If you feel like you want to make your own 80s rock playlist for these last dog days of the summer, consider these tips:
- Choose the songs with the characteristic 80s guitar licks and solos as your main pillars of the playlist. This will make the whole playlist feel carefree and fun!
- Artists like Bryan Adams, Journey, Mötley Crüe, Van Halen, Alice Cooper, and Rick Springfield are an absolute must!
- The 80s brought us absolutely incredible soundtracks! Footloose, The Goonies, Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future, Purple Rain, and Electric Dreams all had some great tunes to include on your new playlist.
- Try enjoying your new digital mixtape on your porch or in your living room with a root beer – that will add that something special to the experience.
- Bring your playlist to the airwaves by calling or texting FM89 and requesting some of your favorites from our DJs! That way, you can share a peek into your playlist with everyone, and you know we love to rock!