by Fredlyn Pierre Louis
Teaching can be a thankless job. Long hours, working at home, and so many more things can put a lot of pressure on them. Here are five reasons I think everyone should take time to thank teachers:
- The don’t get the pay they deserve: Teachers need to be paid well for their services. Anyone who goes into teaching is doing it because of their love for the profession. No one honestly ever wants to be a teacher for the money, so students should show their teachers love because they love you!
- They give all they have: John Legend sang, “give me all of you,” and honestly, only teachers do that because, in life, it’s rare for people to give their all. Teachers provide their students with everything. Do you think it’s easy to teach 23-second graders? Just ask me (I’m a tutor). Teachers exhaust themselves so that they can better the lives of younger generations. They give everything they have so that their students can continue on, find what they love to do, and pursue it with no limitations. I know a teacher in my high school who never missed a day!
- They invest their own money into their classroom: It’s not a secret that teachers don’t get paid well for their job. What you may not know is that they don’t get everything provided to them. They spend their own money on much of what you see in the classroom, and even more on things you don’t see, all so that they can do the best job possible.
- Their career is based on season: I used to think that teachers get paid for the summer. However, many teachers have to find a summer job. Can you imagine how hard it must be for a person to be looking for a job every summer? You might also not know that teachers don’t count in the unemployment rate, which seems unfair, because some of them don’t have a job in the summer.
- Teachers are selfless: They support you, empowered you, taught you discipline, stood up for you, pushed you, wrote recommendation letters for you, cared for you, loved you, made time for you, invested in you, and so on. Teachers always put their students first, and are one of the most selfless groups of people in the universe.
This week, take the time to say thank you to your teachers if you’re in school. For everything they do for you, the least you can do is to say, “THANK YOU!” It costs nothing to say thank you, but it means everything.